God has a different way of being generous!
It’s good to be generous. But God’s way of being generous makes our way look like nothing! Today’s Bible story makes that clear, and it makes us pretty uncomfortable. Jesus tells another parable about the “kingdom of heaven” and how we can understand it.
His story relates the labor practices of a vineyard owner. This guy hires laborers at different times of the day, but pays them all the same. When the workers who started first grumble, the landowner scolds them. “Are you jealous because I’m generous?” he asks. “Can’t I do what I want with my money?”
Jesus repeats a theme we saw a couple weeks ago: God’s way isn’t our way. People want fairness, and we feel good about going beyond “fair.” But God gives so far beyond what’s fair, it seems to us extravagant, dizzying – perhaps, even, “unfair.”
This is a tough story to wrestle with. Even theologians interpret it in different ways. And economists might be downright horrified. At PEACE Lutheran Church, we invite you to wrestle with us as we learn each Sunday. Check us out at one of today’s worship services – 8:30 and 11 a.m. at 828 W. Main St., near downtown Grass Valley.
Today at PEACE
Today’s Bible readings: Jonah 3:10 – 4:11; Psalm 145:1-8; Philippians 1:21-30; Matthew 20:1-16. Read them here.
“Are you envious because I am generous?” – Matthew 20:15
The Rev. Eileen Smith Le Van preaches today.
Your spiritual growth
Fall is a time of harvest. In the Church, we see it also as a season of spiritual harvest. So in these weeks after celebrating Pentecost – when God sent his Holy Spirit to Jesus’ followers – we reflect on what our Bible stories tell us about spiritual fruit. How do we live ever more closely with God? How do we bring other closer to feeling God’s spirit in their lives? Learn more about this Time After Pentecost.
Happening at PEACE
- Harvest Dinner & Talent Show – 5 p.m. TODAY in the Fellowship Center. Enjoy a home-made dinner and have a laugh at our home-grown talent at PEACE. $10 per person for dinner.
- Monday Bible Study – Meet from 1:15-2:30 p.m. Mondays in the Meeting Room with Pastor Eileen. Readings from the book of Acts.
- Contemplative Prayer – We gather at 12:30-1 p.m. Wednesdays in the Conference Room by the Office. Experience deep peace and connection to the Divine in this 30-minute period of silence. Hear the “still, small voice” – really! Conducted by Pastor Eileen.
- Taizé Worship Service – Like a mystical kind of experience? Try our new Taizé Worship Service, following the pattern established by the ecumenical monastic community of Taizé in France.
- PEACE Church Picnic – 12:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 1, and includes delicious barbecue! Sign up in the Atrium & bring a salad or dessert to share.
- Coming Up – Check out our online calendar for more events at PEACE.
- Office Hours – 9am-12pm & 12:30-3:30pm Monday through Friday.
Adult Bible Study
The Adult Forum meets in the Old Fellowship Hall at 10 a.m., led by Pastor Eileen. Stop in the Fellowship Center around the corner to pick up coffee & baked goods!
We celebrate the 500th anniversary of the Reformation in October. To prepare, we prove that studying Luther’s Small Catechism can be fun. (Seriously!) Our curriculum this fall includes stories about Martin Luther, told through the eyes of his children.
Youth @ PEACE is our all-ages Bible study, where young disciples learn the core stories of our faith and what it means to walk the Jesus Path. We welcome all who yearn to learn more about our loving, gracious Creator.
Memory verse this week: “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God – not the result of works, so that no one may boast.” – Ephesians 2:8-9 (This was a key verse for Luther!)
Bible memory verses: Kids can earn Bible Bucks for verses they memorize and redeem them for cool prizes! Our goal is for young people to bring God’s word deep into their hearts, supporting a lifetime of faith.
We have a special program for the tiniest disciples. God invites ALL children, so bring your babies and squirmy tots for this fun program! We’ll start at 9:45 a.m. with music downstairs in the Youth Room with the older children. Then, our youngest Followers of Jesus head upstairs to the Nursery for an age-appropriate lesson.
We encourage parents to stay – you are your child’s most important teacher!