Will you go to God’s wedding party?
And, what will you wear? God’s kingdom looks something like a wedding party, Jesus says in today’s story. The invitations go out, and the host prepares a big to-do with lots of food.
But in Jesus’ story, the guests flake out. One is too busy with his farm. Another is too focused on his business. And when the host sends out messengers to remind them, the guests get mad and beat them up.
So this host decides to invite people from off the street, random folks, good and bad, doesn’t matter. But once they get to the wedding party, their host still expects them to dress up nice. After all, it’s a fancy affair! Put on your best outfit!
Jesus tried to tell the high-and-mighty people that they were missing out on God’s big party. They thought they had more important things to attend to – like rituals and sacrifices. So God expanded his list of the “chosen people” to include outsiders and riff-raff – people like us! All we have to do is show up and do our best.
“Come to the wedding banquet.” – Matthew 22:4
At PEACE Lutheran Church, we invite you to share in God’s wedding party. All are welcome – even you! And though we all fall far short of perfect, we do our best to live a Kingdom life Monday through Saturday. Check us out at one of today’s worship services – 8:30 and 11 a.m. at 828 W. Main St., near downtown Grass Valley.
This morning in worship
Today’s Bible readings: Isaiah 25:1-9; Psalm 23; Philippians 4:1-9; Matthew 22:1-14. Read them here.
The Rev. Eileen Smith Le Van preaches today.
Your spiritual growth
Fall is a time of harvest. In the Church, we see it also as a season of spiritual harvest. So in these weeks after celebrating Pentecost – when God sent his Holy Spirit to Jesus’ followers – we reflect on what our Bible stories tell us about spiritual fruit. How do we live ever more closely with God? How do we bring other closer to feeling God’s spirit in their lives? Learn more about this Time After Pentecost.
Happening at PEACE
- Harvest Pie Sale – Between worship services TODAY! Homemade pies for sale, hosted by PEACE Lutheran Church Women.
- Blessing of the Animals – 2 p.m. TODAY! – Bring your cats, dogs and farm animals for this observation of the Feast of Francis of Assisi. St. Francis believed all of Nature mirrors the Divine. In the parking lot.
- Monday Bible Study – Meet from 1:15-2:30 p.m. Mondays in the Meeting Room with Pastor Eileen. Readings from the book of Acts.
- Contemplative Prayer – We gather at 12:30-1 p.m. Wednesdays in the Conference Room by the Office. Experience deep peace and connection to the Divine in this 30-minute period of silence. Hear the “still, small voice” – really! Conducted by Pastor Eileen.
- “End of Life: Falls prevention & insurance” – 9 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 14 – The Contemporary Issues Study Group takes up End of Life concerns. Geared toward people in the early stages of retirement, seniors and adult children of seniors.
- Coming Up – Check out our online calendar for more events at PEACE.
- Office Hours – 9am-12pm & 12:30-3:30pm Monday through Friday.
Adult Bible Study
The Adult Forum meets in the Old Fellowship Hall at 10 a.m., led by Pastor Eileen. Stop in the Fellowship Center around the corner to pick up coffee & baked goods!
We celebrate the 500th anniversary of the Reformation this month. To prepare, we prove that studying Luther’s Small Catechism can be fun. (Seriously!) Our curriculum this fall includes stories about Martin Luther, told through the eyes of his children. Also, looking at the Small Catechism teachings on the 10 Commandments.
Youth @ PEACE is our all-ages Bible study, where young disciples learn the core stories of our faith and what it means to walk the Jesus Path. We welcome all who yearn to learn more about our loving, gracious Creator.
Memory verse this week: “You have been a refuge to the poor, a refuge to the needy in their distress.” – Isaiah 22:4
Bible memory verses: Kids can earn Bible Bucks for verses they memorize and redeem them for cool prizes! Our goal is for young people to bring God’s word deep into their hearts, supporting a lifetime of faith.
We have a special program for the tiniest disciples. God invites ALL children, so bring your babies and squirmy tots for this fun program! We’ll start at 9:45 a.m. with music downstairs in the Youth Room with the older children. Then, our youngest Followers of Jesus head upstairs to the Nursery for an age-appropriate lesson.
We encourage parents to stay – you are your child’s most important teacher!
Get Involved at PEACE!
Get to know people at PEACE Lutheran Church who are having way too much fun.