ONE WORSHIP SERVICE TODAY @ 10am
What does “transfiguration” mean? In our stories today, “transfiguration” describes the changes in the appearance of humans who have close encounters with God. When Moses speaks to God in the Tabernacle, he comes out with his face shining. When Jesus goes up to the mountain to pray, the prophets Moses and Elijah appear to him, and God himself speaks: “This is my Son!”
God spoke from out of the cloud: “This is my Son, my Chosen; listen to him!”— Luke 9:35
Jesus’ clothes became “dazzling white,” and “the appearance of his face changed,” Luke tells us. But Jesus was different from Moses and Elijah: As the true son of God, he had a special role in God’s plan of salvation.
Yet the message of all three was the same in this way: If you open your heart to God and get close to him, God will change you forever. You will shine in this world with God’s true light!
All-loving God, open my heart to your dazzling love for me. Shine in me, so that I may share your lavish love with others. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
Today’s Bible readings: Exodus 34:29-35; Psalm 99; 2 Corinthians 3:12 – 4:2; Luke 9:28-36. Read them here.Read them here.
Officiating: The Rev. Bill Wong. We are so happy to have Pastor Wong as our interim pastor while we transition to a new, settled pastor.
Need pastoral care? Please call the office at (530) 273-9631. Our office opens Monday through Thursday, 8:30am-3:30pm; closed for lunch 12-1pm.
On the first Sunday of each month, we meet right after the 10 a.m. worship – at about 11:15 a.m. – in the Youth & Family Lounge. Most other Sundays, meet us at 9:45 a.m. in the Game Room (near the Fellowship Center). After a little fussbol, at 10 a.m. we move to our Youth & Family Lounge for a Sunday School lesson.
Youth @ PEACE is our all-ages Bible study, where young disciples learn the core stories of our faith and what it means to walk the Jesus Path. We welcome all who yearn to learn about our loving, gracious Creator.
Kids in church: PLEASE bring your young children to church! Their fussing and squealing may pain you, but they make us glad! Pick up an activity bag as you go into the Sanctuary (on the left in a basket, ask an usher). During the sermon, you can take your kids to our Nursery; a speaker is turned on so you can hear the sermon and follow the service.
Toddler Time: If you’re interested in our special Sunday School program for the tiniest of disciples, call (530) 575-6132.
Coming up at PEACE
- Exercise class – Get fit at PEACE! Fun, inspiring exercise at 11 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays in the Fellowship Center.
- Ashes to Go – 7:30-8:30 a.m. Wednesday, March 6. Get your ashes and a blessing on your way to work. You never have to get out of your car with this novel way of bringing God’s blessings to the street – literally!
- Ash Wednesday – A moving, reflective start to the season of Lent. 12:15 & 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 6.
- “The King of Kings” – Silent Movies with Walt Strony presents Cecil B. DeMille’s 1928 classic treatment of the ministry, passion and resurrection of Jesus. 4 p.m. Sunday, March 24. Free! https://peacelutherangv.org/news-events/peace-news/king-of-kings/
- Qi gong, Quilting, Bells of Peace, Choir Practice – Check out more events on PEACE’s online calendar.
OFFICE HOURS – 8:30 a.m.-12 p.m. & 1-3:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
Your spiritual growth
Like natural seasons, our church seasons have a special meaning for our spiritual lives. For us, today is the last Sunday in the season of Epiphany. During this spiritual season, we read stories that reveal Jesus as the Son of God and the Anointed One who mends this broken world. We would love to grow spiritually with you!