Jesus asks God to protect us!
When Jesus asked God to protect his followers, he didn’t give them a magic spell or a lucky charm. Jesus knew the suffering that awaited them. God’s protection wasn’t a magic bubble that would make sure nothing bad happened.
What Jesus asked God to protect was their spiritual unity. They had come to believe the truth about Jesus: that Jesus was the Son of God, sent by God to teach God’s ways to all people.
The protection they needed was to stay together. Whatever might happen to them, good or bad. They had to be disciplined, to keep alert, to resist temptation, to cast all their worries on God, and – hardest of all – to be humble as they followed God’s plan for their lives. And together, they could do all that.
“Holy Father, protect them in your name… so that they may be one.” – John 17:11
Today, we still support each other, trying to live in unity the lives that God called us to live. At PEACE Lutheran Church, we want to support you in that life – and we pray that God would protect you on this joyous journey!
Today’s Bible readings: Acts 1:6-14; Psalm 68:1-10, 32-35; 1 Peter 4:12-14, 5:6-11; John 17:1-11. Read them here.
The Rev. Eileen Smith Le Van preaches today as remember the Ascension of our Lord.
Happening at PEACE
- Next Sunday: Pentecost! – We will celebrate with inspiring decorations in our Sanctuary and a procession at our 11 a.m. worship service. Enjoy a reception afterward, with cake and punch!
- Contemplative Prayer – 12:30 p.m. Mondays in the Narthex (the lobby between the Atrium and the Sanctuary). Experience deep peace and connection to the Divine in this 30-minute period of silence. Hear the “still, small voice” – really! Conducted by Pastor Eileen.
- Bible Study – 2 p.m. Monday, in the Meeting Room with Pastor Eileen. We work on the week’s Bible readings, read by thousands of Christians all over the world.
- Earthcare Day Camp, our multi-church summer Bible camp, will be July 17-21. Learn more here.
- Coming Up – Learn more about events at PEACE here.
Adult Bible Study
The Adult Forum meets in the Old Fellowship Hall at 10 a.m., led by Pastor Eileen. Stop in the Fellowship Center around the corner to pick up coffee & baked goods!
Bring your questions, doubts and challenges to God, the Bible and the Church – they are welcome here!
Meet at 9:45 a.m. in the Youth Room downstairs. Young people of all ages are welcome!
Youth @ PEACE is our all-ages Bible study, where young disciples learn the core stories of our faith and what it means to walk the Jesus Path. This spring, we are learning about the ministry of Jesus and how we can apply His words to our lives (yes, it’s possible!!). We welcome all who yearn to learn more about our loving, gracious Creator!
Bible memory verses: Kids can earn Bible Bucks for verses they memorize and redeem them for cool prizes! Our goal is for young people to bring God’s word deep into their hearts, supporting a lifetime of faith.
God welcomes even the tiniest of disciples. Toddler Time is for all children from babies to 4 years old. Parents are welcome to stay and participate, or leave their little ones and attend Adult Forum. We start out with music in our all-ages Sunday School opening at 9:45 a.m., downstairs in the Youth Room. Then, parents and tots head upstairs to the Nursery. Our 45-minute “Frolic” curriculum is fun for children and parents.
Call Youth & Outreach Coordinator Trina Kleist at (530) 575-6132 to learn more.
Get Involved at PEACE!
Get involved in small groups at PEACE Lutheran Church.