Even Jesus faced temptation!
So what does that mean for me? Temptation comes to Jesus right after the amazing moment when he is baptized and revealed as God’s Son. Then, the Holy Spirit leads him into the wilderness, where Jesus fasts for 40 days. (What a contrast that must have been!)
The Devil comes to a very-hungry Jesus with the first temptation of three: “If you’re really God’s Son, big shot, turn these stones into bread!” Physical appetites, pride of ego, worldly power – all of these could be his! If only Jesus would place himself under the spell of worldly temptation.
But instead of eating bread, Jesus becomes bread. Jesus turns away from worldly temptation to become spiritual bread for a world starved for truth, justice and mercy.
“Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness.” – Matthew 4:1
Like Jesus, we are asked to turn from worldly bread to spiritual bread. And Jesus walks with us as we, too, become bread for our family, our town and our world.
At PEACE Lutheran Church, we invite you to eat bread and become bread with us. And when we fail to resist the world’s temptations, we come together to seek God’s forgiveness and strength to go out and try, again, to be bread for a starving world.
Today’s Bible readings: Genesis 2:15-17, 3:1-7; Psalm 32; Romans 5:12-19; Matthew 4:1-11. Read them here.
The Rev. Eileen Smith Le Van preaches today.
Happening at PEACE
- “The King of Kings” – 4 p.m. Sunday, March 5 – Free! Enjoy this silent film classic the way it was originally intended: with live music! Director Cecil B. DeMille’s story of the life of Jesus comes to our Sanctuary with the stirring organ performance of our very own Walt Strony. Did you know: Walt is one of the nation’s foremost performers of theater organ (the type used to accompany silent films).
- Contemplative Prayer – Just a half-hour, but this ancient form of prayer gives you a glimpse of the Infinite. Feel the presence of the Spirit in your busy day! Join Pastor Eileen at 12:30 p.m. Mondays downstairs in the Youth Room.
- Personal Care Kits – During Lent, we’ll collect items for kits we’ll assemble. Lutheran World Relief will distribute the assembled kits and distribute them to disaster victims and refugees in the United States and around the world. This week: Please bring toothbrushes in their original packaging!
- Recycle eyeglasses – Peace Lutheran Church Women are collecting glasses in good condition for the Lions Club “SightFirst Eyeglass Recycling” program. Please leave glasses at the PLCW table in the Atrium.
- Interfaith Food Ministry – Several generous people have donated $35,000 to IFM on the condition that IFM raise a matching amount. Please consider giving to this organization that feeds thousands of hungry people in western Nevada County! Make y our check out to IFM and write “Matching Fund” in the memo line; put your check in the basket in the Atrium, or mail it to IFM, 440 Henderson St., Grass Valley, CA 95945.
- Lenten Prayer Breakfast – 8-10 a.m. Wednesday, March 22, in the Fellowship Center. $10. Continental breakfast followed by a Prayer Service. Pastor Jason Bense will share information about “Declaration on the Way,” a document that describes the ways areas in which Lutherans and Roman Catholics agree on matters of faith. Registration forms and a sign-up are in the Atrium. For more information, contact Brian Smith at email@example.com
- Spring Spud Spectacular – 12:15 p.m. Sunday, March 26. Our annual baked potato lunch will feature spuds with toppings including broccoli, grated cheese, sour cream and chili. With salad, punch and Leprechaun Cake! $5 – such a deal! Proceeds benefit Youth @ Peace summer camps.
- Coming Up – See the PEACE calendar of events.
Adult Bible Study
The Adult Forum meets in the Old Fellowship Hall at 10 a.m. Pastor Eileen leads. Stop in the Fellowship Center around the corner to pick up coffee & baked goods!
Meet at 9:45 a.m. in the Youth Room downstairs. Young people of all ages are welcome!
Youth @ PEACE is our all-ages Bible study, where young disciples learn the core stories of our faith and what it means to walk the Jesus Path. This winter, we are learning about the ministry of Jesus. Things like love your enemies (who??) and pray for that kid in class who’s SOOO annoying.
Bring your questions, doubts and challenges to God, the Bible and the Church – they are welcome here!
Bible memory verses: Kids can earn Bible Bucks for verses they memorize and redeem them for cool prizes! Our goal is for young people to bring God’s word deep into their hearts, supporting a lifetime of faith.
Toddler Time – God welcomes even the tiniest of disciples. Toddler Time is for all children from babies to 4 years old. Parents are welcome to stay and participate, or leave their little ones and attend Adult Forum. We start out with music in our all-ages Sunday School opening at 9:45 a.m., downstairs in the Youth Room. Then, parents and tots head upstairs to the Nursery. Our 45-minute “Frolic” curriculum is fun for children and parents. Call Youth & Outreach Coordinator Trina Kleist at (530) 575-6132 to learn more.