Advent is a time of waiting.
Today marks the beginning of Advent, when Christians reflect on God’s many promises to us. Over the centuries, God has spoken to faithful people who have left a record of visions and prophecies. The most important prophecies – that of an Anointed One who would establish a kingdom of justice, mercy and peace on earth – we see inaugurated by the birth of Jesus, celebrated at Christmas.
Isaiah foretells of a time when “they shall beat their swords into plowshares… Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.”
“Keep awake!” – Matthew 24:42
But when is that prophecy completed?!?!! Faithful people have wondered, questioned and speculated since the very earliest believers. In today’s Gospel, Jesus warns that we can’t know God’s timeline. “About that day and hour, no one knows,” he said.
At PEACE, we celebrate Advent by reflecting on God’s promises and trusting God will fulfill them “in the fullness of time.” We welcome you to wait, trust and – in the meantime – serve with us!
Pastor Virginia Ward preaches today; Pastor Eileen Smith Le Van returns next week.
Today’s Bible readings: Isaiah 2:1-5; Psalm 122; Romans 13:11-14; Matthew 24:36-44. Read them here.
Coming up at PEACE
- Free Mini-Concerts – 5 p.m. Wednesdays starting Nov. 30. Get relief from the Christmas rush! These half-hour concerts will help you keep your focus on the true meaning of the season. This Wednesday features Thom Greathouse on the organ, with selections played by a local recorder ensemble. Holden Evening Prayer follows at 5:30 p.m. If you’ve never experienced this moving, musical creation, please take this opportunity – you will leave uplifted!
- Diaper Drive – PEACE Lutheran Church Women are collecting diapers and baby wipes for Interfaith Food Ministry. We welcome your help! Please bring your donations to the church and leave them in the box in the Atrium by Saturday, Dec. 3.
- Women of Faith – Gather with other women of faith to celebrate Christmas and another year of service to God’s world! We invite you to come at 11 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 3, and check out PEACE Lutheran Church Women.
- More Coming Events – Learn more about events at PEACE here.
Adult Bible Study
The Adult Forum meets in the Old Fellowship Hall at 10 a.m., led by Pastor Eileen Smith Le Van. Stop in the Fellowship Center around the corner to pick up coffee & baked goods!
Sunday School for children & youth
Christmas program! We are excited to bring our message of hope to our congregation. Our practices are on Sunday mornings during Sunday School time, and on two Saturdays in December. Our performance is during the sermon of the 11 a.m. worship service on Sunday, Dec. 11. ALL CHILDREN are welcome to participate in the Christmas program!
Meet in the Youth Room unless noted otherwise. Our schedule is:
- Practice: Sunday, Nov. 30 @ 9:45 a.m.; Saturday, Dec. 3 @ 10-11:30 a.m.; Sunday, Dec. 4 @ 9:45 a.m.; Saturday, Dec. 10 @ 10-11:30 a.m. in the Sanctuary; Sunday, Dec. 11 @ 9:45 a.m.
- Performance: 11 a.m. worship service on Sunday, Dec. 11 – during the sermon time
Youth @ PEACE is our all-ages Bible study, where young disciples learn the core stories of our faith and what it means to walk the Jesus Path. Bring your questions, doubts and challenges to God, the Bible and the Church – they are welcome here!
This fall, we learned stories from the Old Testament. In January, we shift to the New Testament. We welcome all who yearn to learn more about our loving, gracious Creator!
We start at 9:45 a.m. every Sunday, downstairs in the Youth Room. Young people of all ages are welcome!
Bible memory verses: Kids can earn Bible Bucks for verses they memorize and redeem them for cool prizes! Our goal is for young people to bring God’s word deep into their hearts, supporting a lifetime of faith.
Get Involved at PEACE!
Click here to learn how to get involved at PEACE Lutheran Church.