Jesus wants to be your guest!
Jesus is a guest at a party spots a scene that is all too human: People looking around the table to make sure they get the best seats. He surprises his listeners with this advice: When you throw a banquet, invite the poor, the lame, the blind – and give them the place of honor.
If you do that, here’s what you’ll get: Blessings.
That’s because Jesus himself will be present in such people, The Guest at your table. It’s another lesson about material things, about human-centered social orders, about what’s really important.
At PEACE, we beg Jesus to come and be our guest! We welcome all who, like us, want to humble themselves before the One sent by God!
“When you give a banquet, invite the poor.” – Luke 14:13
Pastor Eileen Smith Le Van preaches today. Her topic is on the Lord’s Prayer.
Today’s Bible readings: Proverbs 25:6-7; Psalm 112; Hebrews 13:1-8, 15-16; Luke 14: 1, 7-14. Read them here.
Coming up at PEACE
- Ice Cream for Louisiana! – 6:30-8 p.m. Friday, Sept. 9, by donation. This Ice Cream Social offers all you can eat, with all the toppings. Play games & write cards of support to flood victims in the Baton Rouge area. 100% of all donations will go to flood relief. Hosted by Youth @ Peace.
- God’s Work, Our Hands – On the weekend of Sept. 10-11, we don yellow T-shirts and let others know the joy we experience when we let God use our hands to do His work. Projects include singing hymns at Golden Empire Nursing Home & Rehabilitation Center; building at our local Habitat for Humanity site; and preparing personal care kits that will be deployed to disaster sites around the world, through Lutheran World Relief. Sign up in the Atrium.
- Church Picnic — Our Annual Church Picnic takes place on the afternoon of Sunday Sept. 18, at Lake Wildwood. Enjoy barbecued chicken, ribs, burgers & hot dogs; bring a potluck salad or dessert to share. Then, play horse-shoes, croquet, take a ride on the lake, enjoy children’s games & puzzle challenges. Sign up in the Atrium.
- Harvest Dinner – 4 to 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 24. An event to help us remember our many blessings and think about how we can be a blessing to others.
- More Coming Events – Learn more about events at PEACE here.
Adult Bible Study
“No Trespassing!” Pastor Eileen Smith Le Van continues her discussion of the Lord’s Prayer, focusing on the petition, “Forgive us our trespasses.”
The Adult Forum meets in the Old Fellowship Hall at 10 a.m., led by Pastor Eileen Smith Le Van. Stop in the Fellowship Center around the corner to pick up coffee & baked goods!
Youth @ Peace Sunday School
We are on break for the summer. Sunday School resumes at 9:45 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 11 — downstairs in the Youth Room.
Youth @ PLC is our all-ages Bible study, where young disciples learn the core stories of our faith and what it means to walk the Jesus Path. Bring your questions, doubts and challenges to God, the Bible and the Church – they are welcome here!
Bible memory verses: Kids can earn Bible Bucks for verses they memorize and redeem them for cool prizes!