When we gather, God’s love comes to us!
When we gather in a community of faith, in the name of Jesus, Jesus promises that he stands there among us. That’s the message of today’s story: You gather, I’m there. I come.
But we have to gather. With all of our faults and fears. With all of the bad things we may have done the night before or the week before or the lifetime before. We have to gather, and we have to call on Jesus as we come together.
Jesus said to them, “Where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.” – Matthew 18:20
We can certainly “experience God” by ourselves – out in nature, in meditation, in prayer at home, reading the Bible alone. All those are good things that Jesus did, too. But he calls us to gather, regardless. Today’s readings give us a sense of why: It is in our togetherness, wrestling with the difficulties and complications that living human implies, that we learn to love.
And in loving each other, we change the world.
Please gather with us at PEACE Lutheran Church this morning! We would love for you to feel God’s love poured out on you! Then, let’s change the world together! Worship is at 8:30 and 11 a.m., near downtown Grass Valley.
In church today
Today’s Bible readings: Ezekiel 33:7-11; Psalm 119:33-40; Romans 13:8-14; Matthew 18:15-20. Read them here.
The Rev. Eileen Smith Le Van preaches today.
Adult Bible Study
“Operation Yellow Ribbon.” We’ll watch parts of this documentary by news anchor Tom Brokaw. He traveled to Gander, Newfoundland, Canada, where 38 jumbo jets carrying nearly 7,000 passengers were diverted from New York after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. The impact of the town’s hospitality toward its unexpected guests continues today.
The Adult Forum meets in the Old Fellowship Hall at 10 a.m., led by Pastor Eileen. Stop in the Fellowship Center around the corner to pick up coffee & baked goods!
Your spiritual growth
Summer is the growing season. In the Church, we see it also as a season of spiritual growth. So in these weeks after celebrating Pentecost – when God sent his Holy Spirit to Jesus’ followers – we reflect on stories that encourage us to follow the Spirit as it leads us closer to God. Learn more about this Time After Pentecost.
Happening at PEACE
- God’s Work Our Hands Day – TODAY! Between services, we will assemble personal care kits, to be used by Lutheran Disaster Response, as one of our service projects. At 1:30 p.m. today, some of us will go to Golden Empire Nursing Center in Grass Valley to sign favorite hymns with residents. Sign up in the Atrium.
- Walk for Rwanda — 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 16; meet in our parking lot for a brief rally before heading out to one of three local trails. Our first-ever “Trail-a-thon” supports Pastor John Rutsindintwarane and his work with the Lutheran Church in Rwanda. See the bulletin board in the Old Fellowship Hall for details.
- Monday Bible Study – Meet from 1:15-2:30 p.m. Mondays in the Meeting Room with Pastor Eileen. We’ve been reading the book of Acts – this week, it’s Chapter 13, with Paul and Barnabas starting their ministry among the Gentiles (that’s us!).
- Contemplative Prayer – We gather at 12:30-1 p.m. Wednesdays in the Conference Room by the Office. Experience deep peace and connection to the Divine in this 30-minute period of silence. Hear the “still, small voice” – really! Conducted by Pastor Eileen.
- More! – Check out PEACE’s online events calendar.
- Office Hours – 9am-12pm & 12:30-3:30pm Monday through Friday.
Ice Cream Party! 9:45 a.m. TODAY! Our traditional way to resume Sunday School in the fall – because God’s love is sweet! This fall, we celebrate the 500th anniversary of the Reformation with fun stories about Martin Luther, told through the eyes of his children.
Youth @ PEACE is our all-ages Bible study, where young disciples learn the core stories of our faith and what it means to walk the Jesus Path. We welcome all who yearn to learn more about our loving, gracious Creator.
This week’s summertime Bible memory verse: “Where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.” – Matthew 18:20. Practice at home, then collect a fistful of Bible Bucks!
Bible memory verses: Kids can earn Bible Bucks for verses they memorize and redeem them for cool prizes! Our goal is for young people to bring God’s word deep into their hearts, supporting a lifetime of faith.
TODAY, we will resume our special program for the tiniest disciples. God invites ALL children, so bring your squirmy tots and even your babies for this fun program! We will start with the rest of the children in the Youth Room downstairs.
Sept. 10 is a special day because we’ll have our annual ice cream party – because God’s love is sweet! On future Sundays, we’ll start our morning with music and song, all together. Then toddlers and infants will go to the Nursery for age-appropriate activities.