Trinity: One God, Three Persons
When Christians talk about God as a Trinity, it’s easier to say who God isn’t, than to explain who God is.
The Trinity is not one being with three job titles. Nor is the Trinity three separate pieces that form one being. And God is not a split personality. All of these ideas have been floated, and all have been declared by the Church to be heresies.
God revealed himself to Abraham as I AM – but how do we understand that? Today, on Holy Trinity Sunday, we Lutherans declare what we understand the Trinity to BE. Throughout our worship services this morning, we make statements and pray prayers and sing songs that try to explain who God IS.
“I am with you always, to the end of the age.” – Matthew 28:20
Jesus promised he would “always be” with us – regardless of how well we understand the concept of the Trinity. He came as God’s Son, assured us his Path is the way to the Father, and promised God’s Spirit would be in us and work in and through us in the world, bringing God’s kingdom to life.
Wonder with us at PEACE Lutheran Church as we celebrate this triune God who created us, saved us and supports us in our lives of faith!
Today’s Bible readings: Genesis 1:1-2:4a; Psalm 8, 2 Corinthians 13:11-13; Matthew 28:16-20. Read them here.
The Rev. Eileen Smith Le Van preaches today.
Happening at PEACE
- Silent Movies with Walt Strony – “The General” screens at 4 p.m. today in the Sanctuary. Our staff organist, Walt, is also a nationally recognized performer of live music accompanying silent film! He performs at film festivals all across the United States. Today’s film is fun and family-friendly, featuring a train chase and the comedy of Buster Keaton. A wine-and-cheese reception follows. FREE!
- Fair Trade Coffee today – Coffee, tea, chocolate, nuts and other products sold in the Old Fellowship Hall. Support a living wage for farmers around the world with your purchases!
- Contemplative Prayer – 12:30 p.m. Mondays in the Narthex (the lobby between the Atrium and the Sanctuary). Experience deep peace and connection to the Divine in this 30-minute period of silence. Hear the “still, small voice” – really! Conducted by Pastor Eileen.
- Bible Study – 2 p.m. Monday, in the Meeting Room with Pastor Eileen. We work on the week’s Bible readings, read by thousands of Christians all over the world.
- Earthcare Day Camp, our multi-church summer Bible camp, will be July 17-21. Learn more here.
- Coming Up – Learn more about events at PEACE here.
Adult Bible Study
The Adult Forum meets in the Old Fellowship Hall at 10 a.m., led by Pastor Eileen. Stop in the Fellowship Center around the corner to pick up coffee & baked goods!
Bring your questions, doubts and challenges to God, the Bible and the Church – they are welcome here!
Meet at 9:45 a.m. in the Youth Room downstairs. Young people of all ages are welcome!
Youth @ PEACE is our all-ages Bible study, where young disciples learn the core stories of our faith and what it means to walk the Jesus Path. This spring, we are learning about the ministry of Jesus and how we can apply His words to our lives (yes, it’s possible!!). We welcome all who yearn to learn more about our loving, gracious Creator.
Bible memory verses: Kids can earn Bible Bucks for verses they memorize and redeem them for cool prizes! Our goal is for young people to bring God’s word deep into their hearts, supporting a lifetime of faith.
God welcomes even the tiniest of disciples. Toddler Time is for all children from babies to 4 years old. Parents are welcome to stay and participate, or leave their little ones and attend Adult Forum. We start out with music in our all-ages Sunday School opening at 9:45 a.m., downstairs in the Youth Room. Then, parents and tots head upstairs to the Nursery. Our 45-minute “Frolic” curriculum is fun for children and parents. Call Youth & Outreach Coordinator Trina Kleist at (530) 575-6132 to learn more.