And we ask, ‘Which way, Jesus?
Jesus’ followers wanted to know which way to go. They wanted to become one with the Creator, the “Father.” “I’m it,” Jesus told them. “I am the Way.”
Huh? What way is that? they thought. One brave guy spoke up, Thomas, who rarely feared to voice his skepticism. “Teacher, we don’t have any idea what you’re talking about,” he said.
(Deep sigh.) “Seriously, guys? You’ve been with me all this time, and you still don’t get it?” So Jesus explained it all again: “When you look at me, you are looking at the Father. The Father lives in me. It’s the Father-in-me who is doing all these amazing things you see me do!”
“I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” – John 14:6
We haven’t changed much in 2,000 years. Jesus-as-The-Way is still hard to understand. Harder still, in our age of My Intellect Rules, to believe. And even harder, still, to live out day-to-day, living the love that Jesus showed.
At PEACE Lutheran Church, we invite you to struggle with us as we walk the Jesus Way together, reveling in the Father’s lavish love – all the more puzzling because he even loves us!
Today’s Bible readings: Acts 7:55-60; Psalm 31:1-5; 1 Peter 2:2-10; John 14:1-14. Read them here.
The Rev. Eileen Smith Le Van preaches today.
Happening at PEACE
- Contemplative Prayer – 12:30 p.m. Mondays in the Narthex (the lobby between the Atrium and the Sanctuary). Experience deep peace and connection to the Divine in this 30-minute period of silence. Hear the “still, small voice” – really! Conducted by Pastor Eileen.
- Bible Study – 2 p.m. Monday, in the Meeting Room with Pastor Eileen. We work on the week’s Bible readings, read this week by thousands of Christians all over the world.
- Women’s Appreciation Dinner – 5 p.m. Friday, May 19. Hosted by the men of Peace, this dinner welcomes all, whether you are a member or not. Contact james.schroeder-at-sbcglobal.net or emhammond-at-ironmind.com for more info.
- Earthcare Day Camp, our multi-church summer Bible camp, will be July 17-21.
- Coming Up – Learn more about events at PEACE here.
Adult Bible Study
The Adult Forum meets in the Old Fellowship Hall at 10 a.m., led by Pastor Eileen. Stop in the Fellowship Center around the corner to pick up coffee & baked goods!
Bring your questions, doubts and challenges to God, the Bible and the Church – they are welcome here!
Meet at 9:45 a.m. in the Youth Room downstairs. Young people of all ages are welcome!
Youth @ PEACE is our all-ages Bible study, where young disciples learn the core stories of our faith and what it means to walk the Jesus Path. This spring, we are learning about the ministry of Jesus and how we can apply His words to our lives (yes, it’s possible!!). We welcome all who yearn to learn more about our loving, gracious Creator!
Bible memory verses: Kids can earn Bible Bucks for verses they memorize and redeem them for cool prizes! Our goal is for young people to bring God’s word deep into their hearts, supporting a lifetime of faith.
Toddler Time – God welcomes even the tiniest of disciples. Toddler Time is for all children from babies to 4 years old. Parents are welcome to stay and participate, or leave their little ones and attend Adult Forum. We start out with music in our all-ages Sunday School opening at 9:45 a.m., downstairs in the Youth Room. Then, parents and tots head upstairs to the Nursery. Our 45-minute “Frolic” curriculum is fun for children and parents. Call Youth & Outreach Coordinator Trina Kleist at (530) 575-6132 to learn more.